MEMBER EVENTS AND SPONSORSHIP
THE “OURS FOR THE MOMENT” & “HUGH INGGS TROPHY” EVENTS
A big thank you to all the golf members who played in the first round of the Hugh Inggs trophy and also to those who also played in the Royal Centenary Challenge/Ours for the Moment day held at Royal Durban Golf Club on the weekend of the 27th of June 2015.
Cullens v Inggs’ at half-way
At both events a number of members came up to me to express their appreciation of these member events which are a little out of the ordinary and generate a really good “club-feel” to them. In the Waterman, after the first round of the Hugh Inggs Betterball, there was a wonderful cameraderie and sense of what it means to be a part of club life and those of us who are old enough to have grown up inside the club environment be it as part of a rugby, hockey, soccer or cricket club , let alone a golf club felt it quite strongly.
When the idea of playing the first round of the competition on a Saturday was first mooted there was some who felt that it would not work and to get everyone to play on the same day would not work, to have 85% of the field playing highlighted the success of the new concept.
Indeed a challenge for those that follow to replicate the feeling.
Similarly the sense of team and identifying with our club surrounding our annual fixture against Royal was great to see- Indeed in the Ours for the Moment match which is played between office bearers of the two clubs as a matchplay event the sense of belonging and playing for your team and club was evident and it was perhaps fitting that victory for DCC was assured when the chairman and Jebb Mcintosh comprehensively dispatched their opponents 6 and 5.
Congratulations to Jennie Shaw, Maggie Jarvis, Clayton Mansfield, Sore Fenger and Lance Whiteford whose wins along with the microphone moron ensured victory.
Indeed it was especially pleasing to see the DCC mob clean up at the Betterball Stableford prize-giving with only one of the first five winners being from Greyville. It was especially gratifying to be able to hand out the second prize to past Chairman, past Captain Mr Dick Ridgeway and his partner the evergreen Brian Stokoe. Congratulations to league players Mark Cousens and Albie Edwards who won the overall day.
The next big trophy day is the Claret Cup and Better-ball Medal that is usually held on the Saturday of the Open Championship, which is the 18th of July 2015 but due to league commitments has had to be rescheduled for a week earlier, namely the 11th of July 2015.
This year the Open is being held at the home of golf St Andrews and we will endeavor to honour the famous links on the day.
I urge SATMOGS-the Saturday morning golfers to enter and compete for the better-ball medal trophy, it is a beautiful trophy presented to the winning team on Saturday morning.
Club competitions often run the risk of being unexciting or mundane and often almost impossible to spice up, or to create member interest without adding value to the tournament in some way. Without the generous sponsorship that we are fortunate to receive it would be almost impossible to give added value to our members.
I would like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude to all our regular sponsors – Indeed the Hugh Inggs trophy is sponsored extensively with the result that in excess of R30 000-00 prizes are available to the winners.
A big thank you to CALLAWAY Golf, Lance Whiteford of POSTNET-UMHLANGA,
James Shaw and Alan Van der Veen of MAXPROP Umhlanga for their generous sponsorship, it is greatly appreciated
As a club we are very grateful to have a number of loyal regular sponsors and it is important that we as a golf section acknowledge their support in economically tough times, without them we would not be able to have such great prizes at our regular competitions.
Our regular sponsors include, in no particular order:
- Suncoast (Suncoast Alliance) – who sponsor a meat competition once a month at Country Club course.
- TIB Day Tuttle Insurance Brokers- (Wednesday Comp at the Beachwood Course) Thanks to Dennis Tuttle for the loyal support of his club.
- Unitrans Day on a Wednesday at the Country Club course, the support of Garth Joyner and Unitrans is hugely appreciated.
- Equally as important, if not more so, is the Members Alliance held once a month on a Wednesday at the Beachwood Course. The following members have got together and ensure that our course is well patronaged largely due to their willingness to get involved and generosity. DCC appreciates the support, a big thank you to Gus Du Plessis, Patrick Pinn, Merv Du Pont, N Van Rensberg, Dave Dwyer and Tony Manester (Galito’s Chicken).
- The general all year round support of the club by PUMA and regular golfing member Richard Michaels.
- The massive sponsorship and support rendered to the club each year by the Grindrod Group and its involvement of the club in its many outreach and charitable programmes, which have a financial benefit to the club.
If you are able to support our sponsors please try to do so, without them it would be difficult to add value to the tournaments.
Yours in golf
Garth Davis – Golf Captain DCC